Tuesday, July 26, 2011

About Lolita Fashion

I had posted a status update on Facebook saying that I wanted to become a full-time lolita, and of course there are those who do not know about the style and relate it either to prostitution or pedophilia. My brother was one of these people [commenting with "...disturbing"], and I felt I should clear it up for those who don't know what the lolita is that I'm referring to :O

Lolita is a fashion style that originated in Japan, which is based off of Victorian children's clothing. This style has many different types, such as:

- sweet lolita [what I hope to be someday]
- classic lolita [more aristocratic]
- gothic lolita
- punk lolita
- hime lolita [princess lolita]
- shiro and kuro lolita [black and white lolita]
- oji lolita [prince lolita] [lolita for boys basically]
- wa lolita [traditional Japanese clothing incorporated with lolita]
- casual lolita [my current state]
- and MANY more

I thought that this quote by a lolita explained it perfectly what lolita really is:

"We certainly do not do this for the attention of men. Frequently, female sexuality is portrayed in a way that is palatable and accessible to men, and anything outside of that is intimidating. Something so unabashedly female is ultimately kind of scary—in fact, I consider it to be pretty confrontational. Dressing this way takes a certain kind of ownership of one’s own sexuality that wearing expected or regular things just does not. It doesn’t take a lot of moxie to put on a pencil skirt and flats. It’s not, as some commentators have suggested, some sort of appeal to men’s expectation that women should be childlike, or an attempt to pander to pedophiles. Pedophiles like little girls. They don’t like grown women who happen to like dresses with cakes on them. I’ve never been hit on by a pedophile while in Lolita. We don’t get into it because it is some sort of misplaced pedo complex or anything, and the objective isn’t simply to emulate little girls, despite the name Lolita."

I believe that everyone is born as what they are meant to become, whether they find it or not who knows. I think that I'm meant to be a lolita. All of my life I've felt so out of place, but when I'm wearing lolita I feel like me and that I have a better sense of direction in my life. So...yeah that's all ^-^

~Ja, ne!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment